Monday, March 30, 2009

Inklings & Chesterton

Yesterday at church, my friend Bobby (and little Padraig) came into the library and we had a very nice chat about the UK, my family's upcoming trip to London this summer and his family's move to Northern Ireland. As we talked about all things London, Bobby said one of the places he would love to go is the pub the Inklings hung out at in Oxford. (I don't know if it is proper for me to use the words "hung out" and "Inklings" together, but I digress). Bobby is a fan of G.K. Chesterton, one of the Inklings. The college I work at is called Rivendell College, after a place in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Some of our students live at the C.S. Lewis House.

Because of these ties to the Inklings, I built an Inklings Page on the Library Resources section of Rivendell College's web page. On it I have links to websites that have more information on all of the Inklings as well as a picture of the Eagle and Child (aka the Bird and Baby).

Back to Chesterton. Bobby mentioned that he was significantly impacted by Chesterton's book Orthodoxy. I found it free here. It is also available for free at Christian Classics Ethereal Library (see my post on 3/26/09 re CCEL).

I also mentioned to Bobby that I have been listening to The Innocence of Father Brown, one of Chesterton's book of short story mysteries on my iPod. I downloaded it for free from Project Gutenberg, which has free, full-text books, human-read and computer-generated audiobooks, among other stuff.

All these links should keep any fan of any of the Inklings busy for quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment