Saturday, May 9, 2009

What's for dinner?

Those three dreaded words. What's for dinner? It's 5:30 and you haven't figured out what to make for dinner. All you have is some chicken, and your family has already told you that if you cook it the same way again, there will be a mutiny. What to do?

I've heard about and tried out some of those recipe finding sites. Frankly, they didn't seem to be very helpful and the recipes didn't look very appetizing. So I went back to my stand-by, the Food Network website. They have tons of recipes for entrees, appetizers, desserts, etc. The nice thing is that the recipes are rated by people like you and me who have tried a particular recipe. Read the comments and learn what people like and didn't like about the recipe. Sometimes, they will make suggestions to make it differently.

Check out the "Recipes & Cooking." There are quick recipes, cookies, appetizers, pastas, etc. all categorized together. They also have suggestions for holidays, parties, foods in season and things like that.

Of course, because this site is connected with the Food Network, there will be lots of stuff about the shows and chefs. If you just use the recipe searches though, it's helpful. The only thing I find disconcerting is that some of the recipes will call for what I think are weird ingredients--at least ingredients I never have in my kitchen. I can safely say I have never had melon salsa nor pickled jalapenos in my house. But if you do, there are recipes for you! So go ahead and use that plum chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment