Monday, April 6, 2009

No Fear Shakespeare

I studied Shakespeare in high school, just like everyone else. I didn't always get it then. Truthfully, I don't always get it now. And I know I'm not the only one. I remember my dad telling me about when he studied Shakespeare in school. He was reading the beginning of one of Shakespeare's plays and it said something about the "hart" and hunting. And how a hart is a male deer, but in the play it also could mean a heart. I always remembered it because I knew I wouldn't have gotten it either. Shakespeare can be intimidating!

Well, now there is No Fear Shakespeare. It has the original and a modern language version parallel to each other. This way you can enjoy the beauty of Shakespeare's original language and all of its symbolism and actually understand what's going on!

Now I am not advocating that you only read the modern language version. Reading Shakespeare's original language shows his genius. I think using No Fear Shakespeare is a great way to enhance your understanding of Shakespeare and thus enjoy it more. It should be used as a supplement, not a substitute.

So go read Twelfth Night when Curio asks Duke Orsino if he wants to go hunting for a hart. (Thanks Dad.)

1 comment:

  1. High school kids will love this! I agree, though~the original language is so poetic and breathtaking. :)

    ReplyDelete